As the most common massage type, Health Solutions Chiropractic offers Swedish massage for a wide range of patients, with many finding it to be both relaxing and energizing. This form of massage involves soft, long, kneading strokes, as well as light, intermittent, tapping strokes, on the muscles’ topmost layers. These strokes are also combined with movement of the joints. A Swedish massage can increase blood circulation, ease the tension in the body’s muscle, and improve the muscles’ flexibility. There are five common strokes involved in Swedish massage. These are the effleurage, petrissage, friction, tapotement and vibration.
- Effleurage strokes are long continuing strokes that allow the massage therapist to spread the oil and feel the muscle tone.
- Petrissage is a kneading stroke that lifts and presses the tissue, helping to flush out metabolic waste in that area.
- Friction is a stroke that involves quick short movements to create heat. This promotes blood flow to that area and is great for loosening ligaments.
- Tapotement is a series of light strikes to the body designed to relax a muscle. This is a stroke many are familiar with and sometimes looks like alternating karate chops.
- Vibration is a stroke that is used to facilitate movement in the entire body and when done correctly, is incredibly relaxing.
In addition to helping with stiffness or muscle aches and pains, the Swedish massage has been linked to a number of benefits, including reduction in knee arthritis, mitigating the discomfort of carpal tunnel syndrome, reducing headaches, lowering blood pressure, boosting immune system function, and helping to ease the symptoms of fibromyalgia. If you would like to schedule a Swedish massage with one of our skilled massage therapists in South Ogden, Utah, please do not hesitate to call our office at 801-621-1667. We look forward to healing your body and mind!